General Paper « Our Partners – JC General Paper Tuition Bishan
Sign up for our JC GP Tuition at www.generalpaper.com.sg or call Simon at 96890510. Topical enrichment, issue reflection, comprehension and essay writing skills. The GP Tuition Bishan programme aims to cultivate Sensible Mind that enables our students to develop analytical thinking, articulate logical causation and develop assertion to write effective essays and comprehend confidently for comprehension passage.
For more information and time-slots, please visit us at www.generalpaper.com.sg or call Simon at 96890510.
Our tuition programme for JC General Paper is structurally designed to nurture the Sensible Mind of the student to develop the analytical causation and effective comprehension to excel in their ‘A’ level examinations. Learning Activities includes knowledge enrichment, essay writing skills, effective comprehension skills and reflective and intellectual analysis and causation.
This programme will be conducted through an incremental and developmental structure to provide our students systematic and clarified guidance in their preparation for the examination. At the same time, the programme is also exam-oriented and organized in material wise to ensure that all students are able to have the pivotal source of source of materials.
Dedicatedly and meticulously designed by JC GP Tutor, Mr. Simon Ng, who is the founder of www.generalpaper.com.sg and has more than 15 years of tutoring and teaching experiences, his programme has successfully guided most of his students to excel in their GP examination.
In this programme, students will experience the Sensible Mind Methodology which emphasizes on thinking and writing skills in the learning process will able to nurture students to make intellectual and reflective causation and opinion. Through the expounding academic and intellectual education activities, we seek to inculcate in our students to learn reflectively and efficiently, apply effectively and review critically, shaping them to be analytical and reflective thinker and writer in the pursuit of academic excellence. The programme also aspires to cultivate in our students keen interest and passion for the subjects and nurture their determination and resilience for academic excellence, which is the strong belief of this GP Tuition Bishan centre.
Our Learning System
Cultivating the sensible mind and analytical thinking skills in our learning approach is the key to the development of the reflective thinking student which will enable our students to excel n their studies of General Paper. In our studying process which involves learning, applying and reviewing, we seek to teach our students to learn efficiently, apply effectively and review critically. In this process, we cultivate the necessary thinking, writing and application skills that will poise our students to comprehend their knowledge acquired more effectively and develop the necessary skills to become prolific thinker and writer.
I) Learn Reflectively
Learning is only considered competent when students achieve understanding in their learning process. We enhance this initial stage of learning of General Paper by inculcating in our students the thinking and learning skills to enhance their comprehension about the information they need to conceive and retain. To do so, our students will be taught on the followings:
- The thinking skills on how to derive meanings from definition of academic terms, explain concepts and causation and conduct classification and comparison of concepts
- The thinking skills on how to reflect on issues and develop their sense of opinions on issues, through the understanding of the different aspects of the issue or concept.
- The thinking skills on how to contextualize knowledge with empirical development to make meaningful use of knowledge acquired.
- The thinking skills on how to retain and remember knowledge effectively by conceptualizing the terms and lingos, understanding process explanation and developing analysis and evaluation to allow spontaneous application in discussion and writing.
II) Apply Effectively
Effective Application in knowledge acquired is only achieved when students are able to think reflectively about issues and write their arguments in a sensible and logical approach. We develop our students’ abilities in this stage of learning by inculcating thinking skills and nurture writing skills in the following ways:
- The thinking skills on how to classify the types of questions that are tested, to understand the requirements of the question, to infer the implications of the questions and to link the source of knowledge to the focus of discussion in the question for comprehension practices.
- The thinking skills on the development of a structure with setting of the perspectives on how the answering would be done to create a flow of discussion that is poised, direct and persuasive.
- The writing skills on how to define and characterize the concepts of ideas, explain logical causation, link and list evidences to support explanation and discussion, make evaluation and rebuttal of the ideas so that there is cohesive development of the idea in the respective paragraph to make effective discussion.
- The thinking skills on how to develop responsive answers in relation to application-based type of question which requires student to use acquired knowledge about our society in support of their answers.
III) Review Critically
Critical review is successfully completed when students are able to understand and conceptualize the significances of their acquired knowledge in its application, analysis and evaluation in accordance to context of the discussion. In this stage of learning, we train our students to think rationally, conducting analytical and critical review of ideas and knowledge in the following ways:.
- The thinking skill to reflect on their understanding and application by examining their generated ideas to support explanation, description, causation, evaluation and analysis so as to note the key concerns of the discussion. This will enable students to infer and apply aptly upon variations of the question and context of discussion.
- The thinking skill to conceptualize their knowledge and develop into notions, crystallizing the gist of the discourse into applicable knowledge for future studies and fundamental skills for decision-making.
In our tuition programme for JC General Paper, it will cover the following learning activities for the regular tuition which will include these main components, namely Comprehension Learning Skills, Essay Writing Skills, Knowledge Enrichment, Intellectual and Reflective Discussion and Class practices and Review. There are also Special Skill Development Workshops which will be done during school holidays with the aim to sharpen students’ skills in comprehending the examination.
I) Comprehension Learning Skills
The focus of this module is to teach student on the understanding of the requirements of different types of questions and the skills needed to answer these questions. Contents of teaching in this module include, reading procedure, implication of information, answering techniques on factual explanation, factual inference, language and factual inference, summary answering techniques and AQ answering skills. In this learning module, student with weaker language proficiency will also be taught on how to improve their grammatical and sentence structure so as to ensure that they can dictate their language to develop accurate answers for the respective types of questions.
II) Essay Writing Skills
The focus of this module is teach students on the understanding of the requirements of the three main types of essay questions and on the writing structures required to answer these types of questions. Students will be taught the skills on how to develop and apply knowledge to create ideas for the content of the essay questions and effective structure for the development of the essay, write with causation and make evaluation and analysis in respective paragraphs and develop links among the paragraphs to create a cohesive and persuasive essay. Contents of teaching in this module include skill development on categorization, conceptualization, topic sentence and paragraph development on introduction, rebuttal and conclusion, causation, writing structure and sentence development.
III) Knowledge Enrichment
The focus of this module is to enrich the general knowledge of the students to enable them to derive information to create relevant points of discussion for their essay writings. It will raise academic understanding of the content of discussion in comprehension so that they can better comprehend the passage to conduct inference and derive points to answer the application question. Contents of teaching include academic knowledge, dialectical discussion of issues, main theoretical ideologies, empirical examples, statistical data and these teachings will be conducted with relevant to local and general context to create analytical causation.
IV) Intellectual and Reflective Discussion
The focus of this learning activity is to cultivate student’s ability to derive intellectual and reflective opinions on issues which are relevant to essay questions and application questions in comprehension. The development is done through discussion and class practices that will help student to build their spontaneous reflection on issues which is an essential set of skills in helping student to do well in general paper. This learning activity will also help student to think more analytically to poise them in their tertiary education in the future.
V) Class Practice and Review
Class practices are also given to assess our students’ performance which will be marked and reviewed by the tutor. Through these class practices, our students’ common errors and writing inadequacy will be identified and taught on how to correct them. These practices will also enable the tutor to assure that their thinking and writing skills are effectively applied in their assignments. Lastly, the class practices will serve as time trials to train students’ capabilities in doing time management under examination conditions.